- Check Points
The computer screen functions as an
intersection within a virtual electronic net.
The seen in this intersection are
visual and audio signifiers constructed by
multicolored and alternating
projected light points. Transaction of light and
color create the context and content
of the projected visuals.
A military checkpoint is an
intersection as well, yet the transactions
in the checkpoint are physical, not
- In the darkness one could hear intense voices in
Hebrew and in Arabic.
- There were no violent gestures on the part of the
workers, only a certain
- flavor of chaos, an energy of struggling men stripped
of their identity,
- humiliated through a process of being suspects of
terror, of standing
- in lines for hours to be checked physically, all for
getting a daily job in
- the Israeli market for something like 19$.
Occasionally, a military jeep
- would pump gas, a soldier would use a megaphone and
- people in Arabic to clear the exit of the long meshed
- to the Check Point. By the time dawn was crawling I
could see the
- faces of the workers boarding the buses.